Saturday, May 30, 2009

Twitter

I realize I havent posted here in a while.... sorry 'bout that.

The reason why? I got a little addicted to a tool called twitter. There are a few important things that I believe have contributed to my take up, and this is my spin on things:
  • Use a decent twitter client. Tweetdeck's grouping capability is excellent. Seesmic desktop is another popular choice. Group people into what you're intersted in.
  • Understand the power of retweets (RT), replies (@username), and hashtags (#keyword). All of a sudden there will be a little more interest and interactivity to what you're all about to other similar industry folks. It also expands the network of the people you're interested in following.
  • Use http://search.twitter.com/ to find like minded people. Search for the #hashtags applicable to your industry.
  • Become part of a more geographically common "likeminded" group, within the greater twittersphere. It gives a sense of collabritive power and community locally. I attended my first Newcastle coffee morning yesterday and saw this first hand.
  • Follow:Followers ratio - Take note of the follow to followers ratio, but don't rule out anyone who's not 1:1. A follow:followers ratio of more than 2:1 is slightly suspicious... some poeple like to have symmetry... but me? I follow a fair few high profile people which I'm interested in, who I don't expect a folllow back from, therefore the 5:4 (ish) ratio. High profile people who don't follow back may think they're too busy/cool/insert-interpretation-here to follow every schmuck, but hey, I'm interested in what certain experts have to say. I don't expect a handshake every time. High profiles are the only people who are allowed to do it though (e.g. TV personalities, or extremely high industry professionals).
  • When tweeting industry news: Tweet about interesting things to your chosen industry... but don't rehash old news. Be the first (or close to, or do an intelligent take on breaking news) or forget about it.
  • Be yourself.
  • Dont spam. Crazy ideas on how to get 1000 folowers in 1 day really shit me.
I've been a twitter member for about a year now, but it's only in the last few months it's started to take off. These points are what helped me get it.

No comments: